Extra lines in default all.ctrl file compared to tutorial

I successfully ran the first tutorial, but I’ve had some issues getting my own receptor up and running. While comparing the files, I noticed that the default all.ctrl file contains “tempdir_fast”, “tempdir_default”, and “outputfiles_level” variables that are missing from the tutorial all.ctrl file, which only uses “tempdir”. Which of these variables should be present? Thanks.

Hi Austin (@advogt),

Welcome to the VirtualFlow Community! :slight_smile:

The tempdir_fast, tempdir_default, and outputfiles_level variables are all required to run the workflow, and lets the user choose where they want certain calculations run/how they want the output stored. Tutorial 1, which includes everything needed to run VFVS with preconfigured files, was prepared around one year ago with an older version of VFVS. The reason that these three variables are present in the current VirtualFlow repository is that these variables were added in the meantime, as VirtualFlow is continuously updated and improved as a rolling-release open-source project.

About the variables and the defaults:
tempdir_default=/tmp
* The directory which is used for the temporary workflow files which need a normal performance
* Is normally a local SSD or HDD
* The directory does only need to be available on the node on which the job step/queue is running

tempdir_fast=/dev/shm
* The directory which is used for the temporary workflow files which need a fast perfomance
* Should be a a local ram filesystem/ramdisk
* The directory does only need to be available on the node on which the job step/queue is running

outputfiles_level=collection
* Possible values:
* collection : The collection output files are stored in tar.gz format. They are stored in subfolders named by metatranch and tranch to reduce the number of files per folder.
Advantages:
* Less I/O on the shared cluster file system (as existing tranch archives don’t have to be read during storage of completed collectionsds)
* No risk of output-file clashes when two queues want to store completed collections on the shared filesystem
* tranch : For each tranch a tar archive is created, which contains the gzipped collection output files.
Advantages:
* Less output files (only for each tranch) for each of the output file types (e.g. results, summaries, logfiles, …).

As you can see, the variables have default values set within the all.ctrl script, but you might need to change that to reflect the system architecture you’re currently running the workflow on.

Anita